Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Whole Grain Crimini Mushroom Pilaf
A Pilaf is a baked cooking method which begins on the stove and is then covered and baked in the oven until finished. This particular recipe uses 3 whole grains, wheat, barley and rice, for a delicious and nutritious entree accompaniment which goes particularly well with chicken and pork dishes.
Write a review
- 1⁄3 Cup Whole Wheat Berries
- 1⁄3 Cup Hulled Barley
- 2 Cups Cold Water
- 1⁄2 Cup Crimini Mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 Cup Celery, chopped
- 2 Cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 Cup Wild Rice, rinsed
- 2 Cups Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Dill, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1⁄4 tsp. Salt to taste
- - Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Pre-set oven to 350 F and have a medium size saucepan (4 quarts) with a tight fitting lid.
- Place wheat berries and barley in a medium bowl; cover with cold water. Let soak for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Drain.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and the chopped mushrooms; cook, stirring, 10 seconds.
- Stir in wild rice, the wheat berries and the barley; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add broth.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, cover with lid and place the entire saucepan (with lid) in the oven.
- Cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from oven, add dill, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper to the pilaf; toss to mix and fluff the grains. Serve.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/