Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Spicy Maryland Crab and Corn Chowder
This soup is similar to a New England Clam Chowder and also similar to one of our other soups, Creamy Chicken..., but uses seafood broth instead of clam juice and crab instead of clams. You can garnish it with Oyster Crackers just like any chowder.
Write a review
- 2 strips Bacon, raw, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 stick Butter, salted
- 1⁄2 cup Onions, diced
- 1⁄2 cup Celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 cup Seafood Broth / Stock (Kitchen Basics brand or equiv.)
- 1⁄2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1⁄2 cup Sweet Corn Kernels
- 1 Lb Crab Meat, pasteurized (lump), with juices
- 1 tsp. Parsley Flakes
- 1⁄8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 pinch Thyme, dry
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup Idaho Potatoes, diced 3/8"
- In a medium size saucepan, saute bacon until just crisp.
- Add butter, onions, celery and red bell pepper and saute 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 2 minutes longer.
- Add flour and cook while stirring for 3 to 5 minutes or until flour has cooked into ingredients to make a roux.
- Add seafood stock and cream and bring to a simmer. Gently simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add crab meat (with any juices), and all remaining ingredients except potatoes. Bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are JUST tender.
- Adjust seasonings and thickness with additional seafood stock or water.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/