Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Spaghetti Squash Rollatini with Marinara & Parmesan
This recipe is a version of Nino's popular Eggplant Rollatini with a twist - Spaghetti Squash!
Write a review
- 1 large Globe Eggplant, peeled, sliced in 1/4" panels (8 slices minimum)
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour, seasoned with salt & pepper
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 2 Cups Italian Bread Crumbs
- 2 Cups Vegetable or Canola Oil (to fry)
- 1 Spaghetti Squash, cut in half lengthwise with seeds and strings removed
- 1⁄2 lb. Bacon, cut in 1/2" pieces
- 1⁄4 Cup Green Onion, cut in 1/4" pieces on bias
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Sage, chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp. Thyme, dry leaf
- - Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 24 oz. Salvaggio's Marinara Sauce
- 1⁄4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- In 3 separate shallow bowls, place a mixture of milk and eggs, then a bowl of the seasoned flour and lastly a bowl of the Italian bread crumbs.
- Dredge eggplant slices in flour, then dip in the beaten egg mixture then into the bread crumbs. Repeat for all of the slices.
- Heat oil in a shallow saucepan until medium hot (approximately 350F) then pan fry each slice of breaded eggplant until golden and crisp on each side.
- Set the cooked eggplant slices aside and prepare the filling.
- Saute bacon until crisp and reserve the crisp bacon and grease separately.
- Pre-heat an oven to 350F then paint the inside of each spaghetti squash half with bacon grease and season them with salt and pepper. Place the halves upside down on a baking tray, add a splash of water (to create some steam while roasting) and place them in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until the outer skin is soft to the touch.
- Remove the spaghetti squash from the oven, allow to cool to the touch then gently scrape the inside pulp into a medium size bowl. As you scoop, the pulp should release from the skin in coarse, spaghetti like strings.
- In a medium size non-stick fry pan, heat 2 Tbsp. of the reserved bacon grease and saute the green onions for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the spaghetti squash, sage and thyme then season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- When cool enough to handle, place approximately 1/4 cup of the spaghetti squash mixture at one end of a breaded eggplant slice and roll into a tube. Repeat for all slices.
- Place all of the Rollatinis in a casserole dish and return to the 350 F oven to re-heat while you also heat the Marinara Sauce.
- Serve 2 Rollatinis covered with a half cup of hot Marinara Sauce and 1 Tbsp. of grated Parmesan cheese.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/
Want to see Chef Pete’s video on making Eggplant Rollatini? Click here.