Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Shrimp and Sweet Corn Chowder
This recipe is full of meaty shrimp and has lots of "stuff" goin' on. Paired with a French baguette for "soppin' up" every delicious spoonful and you'll have yourself a filling and satisfying meal.
Write a review
- 3⁄4 lbs. Bacon, Raw, julienned
- 2 Tbsp. Butter, Salted
- 2 cups Sweet Onions, chopped
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 cups Chicken Stock / Broth
- 4 cups Seafood Stock / Broth
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley Flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. Red Skin Potatoes, small, quartered
- 2 cups Sweet Corn Kernels, fresh
- 1 cup Half and Half or Cream
- 24 ea. Shrimp, Medium, peeled, deveined, cut 1"
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- In a large non-stick stock pot, over medium heat, render the bacon for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp. butter and melt in.
- Stir in the onions, celery and bell peppers.
- Saute/sweat for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 5 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the stocks, the tomato paste and the dry parsley flakes and bring up to a simmer. Add in the potatoes and corn then continue to simmer slowly for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are nearly tender.
- Stir in the half and half (cream) and the shrimp. Simmer the soup for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/