Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Roasted Acorn Squash Soup with Bacon, Sour Cream and Green Onions
Nino's rustic Roasted Acorn Squash recipe is a welcome change from the usual. Topped with crisp bacon (we especially like our Butcher Shop Brand Maple Bacon), this soup could be characterized as elegant with a "down home" touch.
Write a review
- 1⁄2 cup Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Celery, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Salted Butter
- 2 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Chicken Bouillon Granules
- 1⁄2 tsp. Dark Chili Powder
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 2 cups Chicken Stock or Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 cups Roasted Acorn Squash, Mashed (approx. 2 large or 3 small acorn squash)
- 8 strips Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup Sour Cream
- 1⁄2 cup Green Onions, sliced on bias 1/4"
- - Salt & Pepper
- Cut acorn squash in half, scoop out seeds, season the interior flesh with salt and pepper and turn cut side down on a greased, non-stick cookie sheet (or sheet pan).
- Place in a pre-heated 350 F oven and roast for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- Scoop out and reserve 3 cups of the pulp.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes or until just tender.
- Stir in flour and cook while stirring for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock (or broth), chicken bouillon granules, chili powder and cayenne pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Add whipping cream and roasted acorn squash and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove soup from the heat and allow to cool 30 minutes then blend or puree until smooth.
- Return soup to heat and bring to a simmer. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve with a garnishment of crumbled bacon, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of green onions.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/