Whole Grain Crimini Mushroom Pilaf
A Pilaf is a baked cooking method which begins on the stove and is then covered and baked in the oven until finished. This particular recipe uses 3 whole grains, wheat, barley and rice, for a delicious and nutritious entree accompaniment which goes particularly well with chicken and pork dishes.
Submit your review
- 1⁄3 Cup Whole Wheat Berries
- 1⁄3 Cup Hulled Barley
- 2 Cups Cold Water
- 1⁄2 Cup Crimini Mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 Cup Celery, chopped
- 2 Cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 Cup Wild Rice, rinsed
- 2 Cups Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Dill, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1⁄4 tsp. Salt to taste
- – Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Pre-set oven to 350 F and have a medium size saucepan (4 quarts) with a tight fitting lid.
- Place wheat berries and barley in a medium bowl; cover with cold water. Let soak for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. Drain.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and the chopped mushrooms; cook, stirring, 10 seconds.
- Stir in wild rice, the wheat berries and the barley; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add broth.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, cover with lid and place the entire saucepan (with lid) in the oven.
- Cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from oven, add dill, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper to the pilaf; toss to mix and fluff the grains. Serve.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More