The Legendary Hot Brown
In the 1920’s, the Brown Hotel drew over 1,200 guests each evening for its dinner dance. By the wee hours of the morning, guests would grow weary of dancing and make their way to the restaurant for a bite to eat. Sensing their desire for something more glamorous than traditional ham and eggs, Chef Fred Schmidt set out to create something new to tempt his guests’ palates. His unique dish? An open-faced turkey sandwich with bacon and a delicate Mornay sauce. The Hot Brown was born!
The Hot Brown—a Louisville tradition with worldwide appeal—has been featured in Southern Living, The Los Angeles Times, NBC’s Today Show, ABC News with Diane Sawyer, Travel Channel’s Man v. Food, and The Wall Street Journal, and is a regular entry in many of the world’s finest cookbooks.
Submit your review
- 1 ½ TBSP Salted Butter
- 1 ½ TBSP All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ Cups Heavy Cream
- ¼ Cup Romano Cheese, plus extra for garnish
- Pinch Ground Nutmeg
- To Taste Salt and Pepper
- 14 oz. Thick Sliced Roasted Turkey Breast
- 4 Slices Texas Toast (Crusts Trimmed)
- 4 slices Bacon, Cooked Crisp
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, Sliced in Half
- To Garnish Paprika
- To Garnish Parsley, Chopped
- In a two-quart saucepan, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour until combined to form a thick paste or roux.
- Continue to cook roux for 2 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
- Whisk heavy cream into the roux and cook over medium heat until the cream begins to simmer, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and slowly whisk in Pecorino-Romano cheese until the Mornay sauce is smooth. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- For each Hot Brown, place one slice of toast in an oven safe dish and cover with 7 oz. turkey.
- Take the two halves of Roma tomato and two toast points and set them alongside the base of turkey and toast.
- Pour half of the sauce over the dish, completely covering it.
- Sprinkle with additional cheese.
- Place entire dish under a broiler until cheese begins to brown and bubble.
- Remove and cross two pieces of crispy bacon on top.
- Sprinkle with paprika and parsley and serve immediately.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More