Roasted Acorn Squash Soup with Bacon, Sour Cream and Green Onions
Nino’s rustic Roasted Acorn Squash recipe is a welcome change from the usual. Topped with crisp bacon (we especially like our Butcher Shop Brand Maple Bacon), this soup could be characterized as elegant with a “down home” touch.
Submit your review
- 1⁄2 cup Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Celery, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Salted Butter
- 2 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Chicken Bouillon Granules
- 1⁄2 tsp. Dark Chili Powder
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 2 cups Chicken Stock or Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 cups Roasted Acorn Squash, Mashed (approx. 2 large or 3 small acorn squash)
- 8 strips Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup Sour Cream
- 1⁄2 cup Green Onions, sliced on bias 1/4″
- – Salt & Pepper
- Cut acorn squash in half, scoop out seeds, season the interior flesh with salt and pepper and turn cut side down on a greased, non-stick cookie sheet (or sheet pan).
- Place in a pre-heated 350 F oven and roast for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- Scoop out and reserve 3 cups of the pulp.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes or until just tender.
- Stir in flour and cook while stirring for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock (or broth), chicken bouillon granules, chili powder and cayenne pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Add whipping cream and roasted acorn squash and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove soup from the heat and allow to cool 30 minutes then blend or puree until smooth.
- Return soup to heat and bring to a simmer. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve with a garnishment of crumbled bacon, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of green onions.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More