Pete’s Crabby Cakes
Crab is one of Chef Pete’s all time favorite seafoods and he’s a crab cake “snob”. To him, a great crab cake has to be full of crab with very little “filler”. The recipe below is just that!
Submit your review
- 1 lb. Crab Meat, jumbo lump
- 1 Tbsp. Green Onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped, patted dry
- 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 tsp. Dry Mustard, Powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1⁄3 cup Mayonnaise
- 6 Saltine Crackers, Crushed
- 1⁄4 tsp. Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- Place all ingredients (first ten, except crab and crushed crackers) in a medium bowl and stir to mix together.
- Open crab can and drain off all excess water, then place crab meat on top of the mixed ingredients.
- Sprinkle cracker crumbs over crab meat.
- FOLD all ingredients carefully together. DO NOT OVER MIX. Try and keep the larger pieces intact.
- Carefully spoon mixture from the mixing bowl onto a flat working surface and shape into a cake approximately 2 1/2″ diameter and 1″ tall. Place finished cakes on a plastic film and refrigerate or hard chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- To finish the cakes, beat together the eggs and milk in a shallow dish and then place the flour and panko crumbs in their own shallow dishes. Bread cakes by dipping the top and bottom side of each cake (only) with the following in this sequence: flour, egg mixture and panko crumbs.
- Pre-heat oven to 400F then heat a medium size non-stick fry pan on medium high heat and melt butter into the oil. When the oil / butter mix is hot, pan fry cakes on both sides until golden brown and remove to a small cookie sheet.
- Place crab cakes in the oven and bake approximately 15 minutes or until the cakes are thoroughly heated through.
- You can serve with any number of sauces but here are 2 that I really like: Pesto Creme Sauce and Creamy Mustard Horseradish Sauce.
Makes about 6 — 1 1/2″ diameter x 1″ high cakes.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More