Pan Seared Cod en Chemise
This is a very elegant dish and one that you can serve with a number of different fish including Salmon, Chilean Sea Bass, Halibut or Orange Roughy.
Submit your review
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. Cod Fillets, trimmed to 5 in. x 2 in. pieces
- 2 lg. Idaho Potatoes, 6 in. length, minimum
- – Optional: Fresh Herbs – Basil or Thyme
- 1⁄4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Salvaggio Marinara Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Red Wine
- 1⁄2 cup Seafood Broth
- – Saffron, a few threads
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- – Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Start by trimming your boneless, skinless fish fillets into pieces approximately 2 in. by 4 in. or 5 in. If you have some odd shape pieces, you can piece them together. Season your portions and set them aside.
- Carefully slice potatoes with a mandolin (or sharp knife) into very thin panels.
- Rinse each panel to remove the excess starch, lay them out on paper towels and pat them dry.
- Assemble, by laying out a piece of plastic film then arrange your thin slices of potato, overlapping each by a quarter inch, until you have created a potato canvas as long as your fillet and at least twice as wide.
- Optionally, place a few small leaves of basil or tiny branches of thyme down the center of your potatoes.
- Place fish, centered in the middle of the potatoes and carefully fold the potatoes on each side over the top until they also overlap.
- Pan-sear the potato wrapped fillet in a non-stick fry pan with a small amount of vegetable oil on medium high heat for about 1 to 2 minutes or until your potato is golden brown. Once browned on one side, turn over and place the entire pan, with the fish, into the 400 F oven which will allow the underside to brown and, at the same time, finish cooking the fish. This will take only about 10 minutes.
- For the sauce, simmer together the Marinara, red wine, seafood broth and a few threads of saffron. Once this simmers and reduces by half, remove from the heat and whisk in the butter.
- Remove the fully cooked fish from the oven and serve with sauce.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More