Maradol Papaya & Pineapple Relish
Believed to be discovered by Cortez, around 1519, the Maradol Papaya, (actually the fruit of an herbaceaous plant) is believed to have originated in Southeastern Mexico, but is now widely cultivated in just about every tropical and subtropical country in the world. In Australia it is called the “papaw”, in Brazil the “mamao”, in various parts of Europe it is called the “pawpaw” and in France the “papaye”. The Maradol Papaya is delicious, nutritious and distinctively flavored. It contains papain which is a powerful digestive aid and has been used through the ages to sooth stomach disorders. Maradol Papayas, like mangos and other tropical fruits are used in a variety of dishes including fresh fruit salads, vegetable dishes, tropical fruit drinks (smoothies), in sauces, marinades, you can even barbecue it and it makes a terrific Salsa!
Submit your review
- 2 cups Pineapple, diced 1/2″
- 2 cups Maradol Papaya, diced 1/2″
- 1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper, diced 1/4″
- 1/4 cup Sweet Onions, diced 1/4″
- 1/4 cup Green Onion, cut 1/4″
- 1 tsp. Garlic, fresh, minced
- 1/2 Jalapeno Pepper, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Mint, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Tarragon, fresh, chopped
- 1 Lime, juiced
- Peel, de-seed and dice Maradol Papaya and place in a medium size bowl.
- Combine papaya with all ingredients, salt to taste, and let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Serve relish chilled or at room temperature.
Relish may be made 1 day ahead, covered and chilled.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More