Maple Roasted Acorn Squash with Bacon, Red Onion and Sage
The sweetness of maple syrup and acorn squash are married together with bacon, onions and sage in a remarkable medley of comfortable flavors. This side dish pairs quite nicely with Roasted Meats, in particular Lamb, Pork and Beef.
Submit your review
- 4 each Acorn Squash, cut in 1/2 lengthwise and seeded
- – Water, as needed
- – Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- 1⁄4 Lb Bacon, cut in 1/2″ pieces
- 1 medium Sweet Onions, chopped
- 1 tsp. Sage, Fresh Leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Maple Syrup (Pure)
- Lay the acorn squash (cut side down) in a casserole dish and add enough water to cover the bottom of the dish about 1/4″.
- Bake the squash in a 350 F oven (uncovered) for about 30 minutes or until the squash JUST gives to the touch when squeezed.
- Remove the squash from the oven, remove each piece from the casserole dish and allow to cool.
- While the squash is cooling, saute bacon until crisp then add onion and cook until the onions are softened. Drain off any excess bacon grease and reserve.
- Place the acorn squash (cavity side up) back into the drained casserole dish and paint the interior flesh liberally with the maple syrup.
- Divide the bacon and onion mixture evenly and sprinkle into each of the 4 halves of the acorn squash.
- Sprinkle the chopped sage over the bacon and onion mixture then season each with salt & pepper to taste.
- Return squash to the oven and continue to bake approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until fully heated through.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More