Lamb & Rice Stuffed Dumpling Squash
A small plump squash that’s only about four to five inches in diameter. Sweet Dumpling Squash is a member of the winter squash family and as such, have a hard, thick skin and when cooked, only the flesh is eaten. Its skin is generally cream colored or light yellow with green stripes. The sweet dumpling’s flesh is starchy and pale yellow in color but true to its name, has a sweet, honey like flavor. Once the seeds are removed, Sweet Dumpling Squash is extremely versatile as it can be baked, boiled, mashed, pureed, steamed, simmered or stuffed. Sweet dumpling squash are generally available from September through December.
Submit your review
- 2 Sweet Dumpling Squash (medium size)
- 1/2 lb. Ground Lamb
- 1/2 cup Long Grain Rice
- 1 1/4 cup Beef Broth or Water
- 2 cups Ripe Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Rosemary
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Raw Pine Nuts, toasted
- Cut squashes in half lengthwise (from stem to blossom end). Scoop out seeds, and place the squash cut side down on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil, shiny side down.
- Bake at 400°F for 40 minutes.
- While squashes are baking, combine rice, broth (or water), and a pinch of salt in a 2 quart saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn heat down to low and steam 35 to 45 minutes until tender.
- In a medium size sauté or frying pan, sauté onions and bell peppers in olive oil until tender, then add ground lamb and brown.
- Add tomatoes, black pepper, herbs and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- When rice is cooked, add to ingredients in skillet along with pine nuts and mix well. Re-season to taste.
- Stuff squash cavities. Spread any remaining stuffing onto the bottom of a lightly oiled 7 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Lay squashes on top of stuffing.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil, shiny side down. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More