According to an Old Irish Rhyme “Boxty on the griddle; boxty in a pan. If you can’t make boxty you’ll never get a man!”. Times may have changed a lot since then, but Boxty is still made in many an Irish kitchen.
Want to try more recipes? Visit our full library HERE.
1.5 cup Mashed Potatoes (either boiled, mashed and cooled or leftovers)
1.5 cup Raw Potato, grated.
1.5 cup Flour, All Purpose
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1.5 cup Buttermilk
3 Tbs Butter for cooking
- If you are making mashed specifically for this, boil the potatoes in salted water, mash and thoroughly cool. If you happen to have left over mashed potatoes these work as well! You may have to cut back slightly on the amount of buttermilk though.
- Combine Flour, Salt, and Baking Soda in a bowl.
- Grate the Raw Potatoes into a kitchen towel and ring out as much liquid as possible.
- Mix the raw potatoes with the mashed and then stir in the dry ingredients
- Add 1 cup of buttermilk and mix. If necessary add the other half cup, you are looking for a thick batter consistency.
- Place a frying pan on medium-low heat and add butter.
- Scoop mixture in ½ cup portions into the pan then pat it flat, only cook 2-3 at a time so you don’t over crowd you pan!
- Once the first side is a nice golden brown, use a spatula to flip the boxty and cook the other side.
- Serve with Butter, Crème Fraise or green onions.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More