Homemade Soda Crackers
This recipe is based on one from Bernard Clayton’s New Complete Book of Bread. This recipe makes enough crackers to fill two half-sheet (13 x 18 inch) pans.
Submit your review
- 1 1⁄2 Cups King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Instant Yeast
- 1⁄4 tsp. Salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 2⁄3 Cup Warm Water (120 degree F to 130 degree F)
- 1⁄2 tsp. Malt Extract or 1 tsp. Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Shortening (Crisco)
- 2 Tbsp. Butter, melted
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar. Stir in hot water, malt extract (or sugar) and shortening. Mix well to combine.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup flour to form a workable dough. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and knead until soft and elastic – about 5 minutes by hand, 3 to 4 minutes in an electric mixer equipped with dough hook, or 30 seconds in a food processor. Form dough into ball and place in a large, clean, well-greased bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 18 hours (the longer the better).
- Punch dough down and transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a large rectangle about 1/16 inch thick. If dough seems too elastic and fights being rolled thin, let it rest for 5 minutes, then start again; it should be easier going after the gluten has relaxed.
- Fold the dough in from the short ends to make three layers (like folding a letter). Roll out again, no more than 1/16 inch thick. Make sure surface under dough is well floured, as otherwise crackers will be hard to transfer to baking sheet.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork. Cut into squares, circles, or whatever shape you’d like. A rolling pizza cutter and yardstick makes short work of this part. Transfer the crackers to lightly greased or parchment – lined baking sheets; don’t allow them to touch one another, but you don’t have to leave much room between one cracker and the next, either. Sprinkle crackers lightly with salt, and seeds (sesame, poppy, caraway…) if desired. Press salt/seeds lightly into dough with your fingers.
- Bake crackers in a preheated 425 degree F oven for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the crackers. Crackers will be lightly browned. Remove crackers from oven and brush with melted butter. Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More