Grilled Shrimp with Oregano & Lemon
Oregano (also called wild marjoram in many parts of Europe where it is native) is a small shrub with multi-branched stems covered with small grayish-green oval leaves and small white or pink flowers. Its name derives from the Greek words “oros” (mountain) and “ganos” (joy) since not only was it a symbol of happiness, but it made the hillsides on which it grew look beautiful. Used widely in Cuisines throughout the Mediterranean, Oregano can be as easily paired with vegetables as with meat, poultry and fish and is a staple in most tomato based sauces. The Oregano in this citrus dressing makes this dish truly special & the cooking of shrimp in their shells keeps them juicy and tender. All makes for casual finger food that requires plenty of napkins…Enjoy!
Submit your review
- 3 lbs. Jumbo Shrimp in Shell (7 or 8 per lb.)
- 4 large Garlic Cloves
- 3/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 5 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper, ground
- 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Finely Chopped Fresh Oregano
- 3 Lemons, cut in wedges for garnishment
- Snip through shells of shrimp along middle of back using kitchen shears, exposing vein and leaving tail and adjoining segment of shell intact. De-vein shrimp, leaving shells in place.
- Mash garlic to a paste with salt and transfer to a blender along with lemon juice and pepper and blend until smooth.
- With motor running, add oil in a slow stream, blending until emulsified.
- Transfer dressing to a bowl and stir in chopped oregano.
- Prepare a medium-hot charcoal or gas grill for cooking.
- Toss shrimp with ¼ cup dressing in a large bowl and marinate 15 minutes.
- Lightly brush lemon wedges with some of remaining dressing and grill, turning over once, until grill marks appear, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large platter.
- Grill shrimp on lightly oiled grill rack (covered only if using a gas grill), turning over once, until just cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes total.
- Transfer to platter with lemons as grilled.
- Serve with remaining dressing.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More