Fresh Michigan Sweet Corn Custard
August and early September are THE two best months to enjoy the best sweet corn Michigan farmers have to offer.
Submit your review
- 2 ears Michigan Sweet Corn, Shucked
- 1 Qt. Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ tsp. Sea or Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract (or Paste)
- 2 Extra-Large Eggs
- 6 Extra-Large Egg Yolks
- Strip the kernels from the cobs, and while doing so, scrape down any of the cob’s juices with a knife. Cut the cobs in half, and place all into a medium-size saucepan with the cream, sugar and salt. Stir and set aside for a few hours.
- After the mixture has rested, place it in a medium-size saucepan, (with the cobs still in) bring it to a boil and then immediately remove it from the heat. Transfer the hot mixture into a separate storage container or bowl, and refrigerate it until cool.
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat together the eggs, the yolks and the vanilla extract.
- Discard the corn cobs from the cream mixture and then blend it until smooth with a food processor, immersion stick blender or a traditional blender.
- Slowly add the beaten egg mixture to corn mixture while continuing to blend.
- Strain this finished mixture through a fine-mesh sieve (or strainer) into a bowl.
- Place eight 4-ounce ramekins (or custard cups) in a deep baking dish, and then divide the custard mixture among them.
- Add enough water to the baking dish (1 to 2 cups) to create some moisture. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes, turning the dish around about halfway through the baking time to ensure even heat.
- When the corn custard gently springs back to the touch, remove the pan from the oven and the ramekins from the water bath.
- Lightly cover the ramekins with plastic film to prevent a skin (like a pudding gets) and refrigerate approximately 3 to 4 hours or until fully chilled.
Makes approximately 8 – ½ Cup Custards
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More