Crispy Cabbage Rolls (in Phyllo)
If you’re looking for a “gourmet” recipe for cabbage this is definitely a candidate! Similar to egg or spring rolls, this crispy Phyllo recipe can be either an appetizer or main course.
Submit your review
- 6 strips Bacon, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 cup Sweet Onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Green Apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 4 cups Green Cabbage, shredded
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 6 sheets Phyllo Dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup Melted Butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Salvaggio’s Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- In a medium size saute pan over medium-high heat, saute the bacon until crisp.
- Leaving the bacon and resulting grease in the pan, add the onions and garlic and saute 2 minutes.
- Add the apples and cabbage. Turn the heat to medium and saute for approximately 5 minutes or until the cabbage is slightly glossy and limp.
- Season with salt and pepper then remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool.
- On a clean, flat surface, lay out a sheet of phyllo dough and brush with melted butter. Lightly and evenly sprinkle approximately 1 Tbsp. Salvaggio’s Italian Bread Crumbs over the sheet and repeat layering 2 more phyllo sheets with butter and bread crumbs over the top of the first sheet. (3 sheets total)
- Depending on the size of the particular phyllo sheets you’ve used, cut the layered sheet into 3 even rectangles and then divide the cabbage mixture into 6 even portions. 3 to be used now and the other 3 to be used once you repeat the buttering and bread crumbing of the remaining 3 sheets of phyllo you have.
- Place a portion of the cabbage mixture centered at the bottom of the narrow end of your rectangles. Fold over the bottom edge of the phyllo to cover the cabbage mixture, fold a left and right edge of the dough to seal the end then roll forward to fashion a tubular roll.
- Repeat with the remaining rectangles and with the remaining 3 sheets of phyllo and filling placing each finished roll seam side down on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake the rolls in a 450 degree F oven approximately 15 minutes or until the phyllo dough is medium brown and crisp.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More