Crispy Almond Cookies
This recipe is somewhat similar to a recipe called Chinese Almond Cookies with the exception that my recipe uses ground almonds instead of almond paste and sliced almonds on top instead of one whole almond. All in all, I personally like this recipe because it has more almond flavor. Another option for this cookie is to drizzle the finished cookies with semi-sweet chocolate coating.
Submit your review
- 1 ¾ Cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Shortening (such as Crisco)
- ¾ Cup Granulated sugar
- 2 Extra Large Eggs
- 1 ½ tsp Warm water
- 1 ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Almond extract
- 2 TBSP Milk
- ½ Cup Ground almonds
- ½ Cup Sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Separate the eggs and refrigerate the whites.
- Mix the egg yolks and almond extract into the creamed shortening and sugar.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the water, and stir into the creamed mixture along with the milk.
- Combine the flour, cream of tartar and salt; gradually stir into the sugar mixture.
- Stir in the ground almonds.
- Roll the dough into a log about 1 ½ inches in diameter.
- Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the dough into ¼ inch thick slices and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Brush each cookie with beaten egg whites, and then sprinkle with the sliced almonds and sugar.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until lightly colored.
- Let cool on wire racks.
Makes 24 cookies.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More