Chocolate Candy Cane (Pots du Creme)
Pots du Creme translates from French to “Pot of Cream” which is a baked custard, of any flavor, usually baked in a small earthenware crock or ramekin. My holiday Pots due Creme is Chocolate Candy Cane, it’s easy, delicious and makes approximately 8 – 1/2 cup pots.
Submit your review
- 1 Quart Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 8 Egg Yolks
- 1⁄2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1⁄4 Cup Crushed Candy Canes (Mint flavored)
- 5 ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- Pre-heat oven to 300 F.
- Set all of your small pots (ramekins) on a sheet pan with a lid or in a shallow casserole dish.
- Heat the cream with the crushed candy canes until scalded (stop before it simmers).
- Add chopped chocolate to hot cream mixture and stir until melted.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until thick.
- Ladle cream mixture into egg mixture gradually, whisking constantly to prevent eggs from cooking.
- Pour chocolate mixture through a fine strainer into a bowl to ensure it is smooth.
- Carefully ladle or pour chocolate cream mixture into each ramekin leaving about 1/2 inch space.
- Fill the casserole dish with enough water to cover the bottom half of the ramekins. This will allow the Pots due Creme to slowly and evenly cook.
- Cover the entire pan with foil and carefully place in oven.
- Bake for approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- To check for doneness, open a corner of the foil and gently shake the pan. If the custard ripples when shaken, it is not ready. The custard should be done when the top surface moves like jello that has set.
- Once fully cooked, remove the Pots from the oven and from the casserole dish. Place them on a separate tray and cover the surface with plastic film.
- Once the Pots are fully chilled top each individual portion with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream and a decorative sprinkling of crushed candy cane. You may instead use a tiny candy cane if you find a size suitable for individual portions.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More