Chinese Eggplant with Peppers and Black Bean Sauce
Resembling a purple zucchini, Chinese Eggplant is a member of the nightshade family and thus is related to the potato and the tomato. Eggplant is actually a fruit, specifically a berry. They have most all of the eating and use characteristics as the more common eggplant varieties. Often prepared with the skin on, Chinese Eggplant is rarely peeled since its thinner, more pleasant tasting skin preserves its texture, taste and shape. It’s also slightly less seeded and those seeds found are somewhat smaller and less bitter than the average eggplant. As a result, these eggplants need not be salted after slicing to neutralize the bitterness that other, larger eggplants typically have. All in all, these traits make the Chinese Eggplant a good choice for sautéing, deep frying and grilling.
Submit your review
- 1 lb. Chinese Eggplant
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Bell Peppers, multi-color, cut 1/2″ x 1/2″
- 2 tsp. Ginger, fresh, minced
- 1 clove Garlic, fresh, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp. Black Bean Garlic Sauce
- 2 stalks Green Onions, sliced thin on bias
- 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Trim ends off of eggplants, cut in half lengthwise and slice thick.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large skillet, add eggplant and peppers and sauté 1 minute.
- Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add 1 more tbsp. of oil in the skillet, add ginger and garlic and sauté 10 seconds.
- Return vegetables to skillet, add bean sauce and soy sauce and toss thoroughly but gently.
- Season to taste with red pepper flakes.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with green onion.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More