Cara Cara Orange Sauce with Sun-Dried Cranberries & Pecans
Attributed to the Hacienda de Cara Cara in Valencia, Venezuela, the Cara Cara is most probably the result of a cross between Washington and Brazilian Bahia navel oranges. It’s low in acid and delectably sweet, with a deep orange flavor with sweet-cherry flavored undertones. This Venezuelan beauty is medium-sized and round, with a yellow-orange rind and is usually seedless. The flesh is a brilliant reddish-pink, which makes it a wonderful accent to salads. In addition to its wonderful eating characteristics, the Cara Cara’s are an excellent source of vitamin C, A and fiber; a good source of foliate and potassium, and a natural source of Lycopene, the disease-fighting antioxidant. This recipe for Cara Cara Orange Sauce is a delicious accompaniment for not only desserts but Pork and Chicken dishes as well. Enjoy!
Submit your review
- 6 Cara Cara Oranges (for juice)
- 2 Cara Cara Oranges (segmented)
- 2/3 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/3 cup Pecans, pieces
- 2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- 1/4 cup Water
- Squeeze juice from the 6 Cara Cara oranges.
- Pass juice through a strainer and into a saucepan.
- Cut and remove segments from 2 additional Cara Cara oranges.
- Add orange segments and cranberries to saucepan and bring mixture to a boil.
- Turn off heat and allow to stand 30 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water and add to the orange mixture and return to the heat until mixture simmers.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in pecan pieces, and allow sauce to cool.
- Store under refrigeration.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More