Balsamic Glazed Forelle Pears with Goat Cheese
Forelles are one of the smallest varieties of pears, a little larger than Seckels. Their symmetrical body, often bell-shaped, begins with a small round base that tapers evenly to a short neck. What they lack in size is made up in sweet flavor and beautiful appearance. Known as a great “snacking” pear, Forelles are as wonderful to eat as they are beautiful to see on display. Forelles are a very old variety, and are thought to have originated sometime in the 1600’s in northern Saxony, Germany. The name Forelle translates to mean “trout” in the German language. It is believed that the variety earned this name because of the similarity between the pear’s brilliant red speckles and the colors of a Rainbow trout. Forelles were introduced to the United States by German immigrants in the 1800’s, and they are now produced in the Northwestern states of Oregon and Washington.
Submit your review
- 6 Forelle Pears
- 3 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 tsp. Honey
- 24 Baguette Rounds, approx. 2″, toasted
- 1/2 cup Goat Cheese, softened, spreadable
- 1/2 cup Almond Slivers, toasted
- As Desired – Cracked Black Pepper
- Standing pear stem-side up, slice 48 – ¼” thick panels of pear each approximately the size of the 2” Baguette Croutons. The skin may be left on the pear if you desire.
- To toast almonds, place in heavy frying pan and toast over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tan with toasted aroma. Set aside to cool.
- Heat vinegar, butter and honey in large frying pan over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until reduced by half (or about 2 tablespoons).
- Add pear slices and continue cooking for 1 minute turning once.
- Place 2 pear slices on each baguette round and top with 1 teaspoon goat cheese.
- Sprinkle almonds over cheese and garnish with fresh pepper, if desired.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More