Atlantic Salmon Chowder
One chowder that I’m absolutely crazy about is Atlantic Salmon Chowder. If you love salmon and really want to do this soup justice, buy a small (but whole) salmon and ask Nino’s fish butchers to fillet it for you. Also, ask them to save you the head, skin and bones, so you can simmer them in some water to make a salmon broth for this soup. Otherwise, a product like Kitchen Basics Fish or Seafood Broth will do just fine in this recipe.
Submit your review
- 2 Strips Maple Bacon, Raw, Finely Chopped
- ½ Stick Salted Butter
- 2/3 Cup Sweet Onions, Chopped
- ½ Cup Celery, Chopped
- ¼ Cup Red Bell Pepper, Finely Chopped
- 2 tsp. Garlic, Minced
- 1⁄3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Cups Salmon, Fish or Seafood Broth
- 1 TBSP. Tomato Paste
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp. Parsley Flakes
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp. Paprika
- 2 TBSP. Fresh Dill, Chopped
- 1 ½ Lbs Atlantic Salmon, Diced ½” Cubes
- 1 Cup Cooked Red Skin Potatoes, Diced ½”
- To Taste Salt & Pepper
- In a medium-size sauce pot, over medium heat, sauté bacon until nearly crisp. Then add butter and sauté onion, celery, red bell pepper and garlic together over medium heat until softened.
- Add flour and cook while stirring constantly for 5 minutes to cook flour into a roux.
- Add broth and the tomato paste, and stir with a whisk until mixture comes to a simmer and thickens.
- Add cream, parsley, cayenne, paprika and dill, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add salmon and reduce to a VERY low simmer. Stir gently until salmon pieces are cooked through and are firm and opaque.
- Add cooked, diced red skin potatoes and cook an additional 3 minutes to reheat the potatoes.
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Makes 1 1/2 quarts. This chowder goes particularly well with whole grain crackers or sourdough bread.
Write A Review
Submit your review
Premium quality and great value
available only from Nino’s.
The International Marketplace
We work hard to maintain our vast selection of European meats and cheeses, Middle Eastern spices, oriental vegetables, kosher delicacies, halal recipes, Italian favorites and many other products our neighborhoods cherish.Read More