No matter the weather or the season, greens are always a great source of healthy nutrients and amazing tastes. This week I have 4 delicious recipes, each with a different theme and main ingredient for you and your family to enjoy
Our first salad has a Tex-Mex theme and showcases Nino’s Hearts of Romaine, “tumbleweed” like strips of flour tortilla and Nino’s Nationally Award winning Chipotle Ranch Dressing. With its grilled chicken and colorful garnishments, this salad is sure to be a hit at any outdoor picnic.
Texas Tumbleweed Salad
- 8 6” Flour Tortillas, Cut in “Fettuccini” like strips
- 1 Family Size Nino’s Hearts of Romaine Lettuce
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, Julienne Cut
- 3 Grilled, Chicken Breasts, Julienne Cut
- 1 Red Onion, Julienne Cut
- 2 Poblano Peppers, FINE Julienne Cut
- 2 Ears Sweet Corn Kernels (Fresh)
- ½ Cup Cilantro, Coarsely Chopped
- 2 Bottles Nino’s Fresh Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- Toss all ingredients except dressing.
- Plate and dress with dressing.
Next up, our Sesame & Teriyaki Grilled Spinach Salad combines the sweetness of shrimp and teriyaki with 2 lettuces and an amazing dressing topped with crunchy rice noodles.
Sesame & Teriyaki Grilled Spinach Salad
- 18 Ex. Large Shrimp, Raw, Peeled & De-veined
- ½ Cup Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 – 10 oz Baby Spinach Leaves, Whole
- 1/2 Head Iceberg Lettuce, Chopped
- 1 Cup Flat Pea Pods, Julienned
- 1 Cup Carrots, Matchstick
- 1 Cup Baby Corn, Bias cut on angle
- 1 Cup La Choy Fried Rice Noodles
- 1 Cup Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce
- ¼ Cup Toasted Sesame Seed Oil
- ¼ Cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- Marinate shrimp in ½ cup teriyaki sauce for 2 to 3 hours and then grill while basting with sauce until cooked. Chill shrimp.
- Toss together lettuces, pea pods, carrots & baby corn.
- Garnish each portion or large bowl of tossed ingredients with grilled teriyaki shrimp, and crisp rice noodles.
- Whisk together all 3 dressing ingredients and pour over salad.
Our 3rd salad brings the taste of Louisiana’s Cajun country to a salad of spicy, blackened salmon, peppers, beans and tomatoes. Tossed in a sweet and sour tomato dressing, the flavors and colors are in perfect Southern harmony.
Cajun Blackened Salmon Salad
- 2 – 10 oz Atlantic Salmon Fillets, Skinless
- ½ Cup Melted Butter
- ½ Cup Nino’s Cajun Blackening Seasoning
- ¼ Cup Salvaggio’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Cut ¼” Strips
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Cut ¼” Strips
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, Cut ¼” Strips
- 1 Vidalia Onion, Cut in Half, then ¼” Slices
- 1 Pt Grape Tomatoes, Cut in Half
- 1 Cup Green Beans, Snapped
- ½ Cup Kidney Beans, Canned, Drained & Rinsed
- ½ Cup Black Eyed Peas, Canned, Drained & Rinsed
- 1 Family Size Nino’s Italian Blend Greens
- 2 Bottles Hot Rod Bob’s Sweet & Sassy Dressing
- Paint chilled salmon fillets on both sides with melted butter, and then apply Cajun seasoning to each buttered side liberally.
- In a well ventilated area, heat a thick bottomed skillet on medium high and without adding any oil, place the salmon fillets in pan and blacken on both sides approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Depending on thickness of the fillets, complete cooking of fillets in a 350 F oven or microwave oven.
- Chill the salmon fillets then break apart into 1” chunks.
- Wipe out skillet, and heat on medium high. Add oil then sauté julienned onion and peppers until just tender. Remove and chill also.
- Blanch green beans in boiling salted water then shock in ice water. Drain, pat dry and reserve.
- In a bowl, toss together chilled peppers and onion, green beans, kidney beans, black eyed peas and tomatoes.
- In a large salad bowl or on individual plates, finish salad by tossing Nino’s Italian Greens in Hot Rod Bob’s dressing to coat. Garnish top of salad with peppers and beans mixture and finally with chunks of Blackened Salmon.
This last salad could just as easily contain other melon varieties as well. The combination of sweet watermelon with fresh herbs and the sweetly sour dressing of olive oil, lime juice and honey are an extraordinary combination that will have your family wanting this again.
Fresh Herbed Watermelon Salad
- 1 Red Onion, Julienned
- ½ Cup Salvaggio’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Fresh Limes, Juiced
- ½ Cup Fresh Mint, Chopped
- ¼ Cup Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 1 TBSP Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- 2 TBSP Honey
- 2 Qts Watermelon, Seeded, Cubed
- 1 Cup Feta Cheese, Crumbled
- ½ Cup Kalamata Olives, Pitted, Halved
- In a medium size bowl, combine onion, olive oil, lime juice, herbs and honey to make a dressing.
- Place watermelon in a large mixing bowl and toss with dressing.
- Place mixture in a serving bowl and garnish with feta cheese and olives.
And when it comes to finding the freshest products for all of these great recipes, you can count on Nino’s, serving Southeast Michigan with quality and exceptional service since 1979.