For starters, I’m not what you’d call a big pie guy. There just aren’t many pies that get me off the couch to head to the fridge or that I’d even think about saving room for after a meal. My S’Mores Chocolate Cream Pie, however, is definitely one that does.
One of my biggest complaints about pies is that so few commercially made ones are worthy of passing my lips let alone swallowing. Everything has been cheapened by using water instead of real dairy products, processed instead of fresh fruits, high fructose corn sweetener versus cane or beet sugar, and artificial flavorings and additives galore.
In short, pies on the whole have been dumbed down to hit a price point, and that sometimes doesn’t leave room for quality ingredients.
Similar to a homemade chocolate pudding, my s’mores chocolate filling is made with quality ingredients and has all the look and taste of the classic campfire s’mores made of gooey toasted marshmallows, melted chocolate and graham crackers.
Before I share my recipe, if time doesn’t allow you to crush graham crackers, add melted butter and press the resulting wet-sand-like crumbs into a pie tin, you can purchase a ready-made graham cracker crust at nearly any grocery store (including Nino’s). I’d still, however, recommend you buy a box of graham crackers for garnishing the finished pie.
S’Mores Cream Pie: Serves 8
¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
¼ Cup Cornstarch
4 Egg Yolks
2 Cups Half & Half
2/3 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
2 TBSP Butter
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Mini Marshmallow
1 9” or 10” Graham Cracker Crust
*NOTE: *If you choose to make your own crust, you will need approximately 1 ¾ cups of crushed graham crackers, 1 stick of melted butter and ¼ cup granulated sugar, which you will stir together until it has the consistency of wet sand. Then, line and press into the pie tin. It does not require baking afterwards.
2 Cups Mini Marshmallows
2 to 3 Graham Crackers, Broken into 4 Pieces Each
1 Hershey Chocolate Bar, Broken into 1” Pieces
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt and yolks until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in the half & half.
- Place over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer while whisking constantly. When the mixture begins to thicken, continue to stir until you see a bubble or two, and then IMMEDIATELY remove from heat and whisk in the butter, chocolate chips and vanilla.
- Place plastic wrap directly on surface and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup of mini marshmallows, and immediately pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust.
- Cover the filled pie and refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- Remove the plastic film, and cover the entire surface with the 2 cups of mini marshmallows. Then, place the pie under an oven broiler until the marshmallows are golden brown (typically 2 to 3 minutes).
- Break apart the Hershey chocolate bar and graham crackers, and insert pieces randomly across the surface of the pie.
- Refrigerate again for a minimum of 30 minutes, and then cut and serve.
Depending on whether you purchase a 9” or 10” pie crust, the filling will be up to the top crust or slightly below, but either size will result in a fabulous pie that your family will absolutely enjoy all summer.