The Big Game is finally here! And whether you’re a big fan of the game or just like a good party, there’s something this week for nearly everyone.
This year’s Big Game pits the Denver Broncos and quarterback Peyton Manning against the Seattle Seahawks and quarterback Russell Wilson in what promises to be a frigid MetLife Stadium in New York (Okay, it’s really New Jersey.) on Sunday, February 2nd.
It will be the 48th year (for those who are Roman numeral challenged) that the champions of two football divisions meet to decide just who really is the best (at least this year anyway.)
Even if you’re not a huge football fan, you can still enjoy the excitement and drama of all those entertaining commercials that come on during the game.
And those 30-second spots are going for a record $4 million this year!
With that kind of cash on the line, you can bet the ads (some 48 minutes’ worth) will be as amazing and memorable as the plays and the final score.
Speaking of bets, the Big Game, true to its “Super” title, is the one game of the year when many parties are spiced up with prop bets. What’s a prop bet? Basically, it’s a proposal of a possibility or likelihood of an outcome. If you correctly predict and bet on the outcome, you win! The best part is you don’t have to know much, if anything, about football.
This year, it’s expected that Vegas will have nearly 200 prop bets to choose from!
The most common prop bets are:
- Who will score the game’s first touchdown?
- Which team will score first?
- Which team will score last?
- What will the first score of the game be (field goal or TD)?
- Who will the Super Bowl MVP be?
- Which team will rack up the most penalty yards?
- Which quarterback will have the most passing yards?
- What will the coin toss outcome be (heads/tails)?
But if you’re really looking for some action and have money to burn, there’s nothing stopping you from putting your hard-earned money on predicting the outcome of some of this year’s craziest prop bets.
Here are some possibilities:
- Will any Seahawks’ player kiss his biceps after scoring a TD? (a mocking reference to Colin Kaepernick)
- The amount of times the announcers mention Bruno Mars (before the end of the 1st half)
- Will a player from either team be arrested before kickoff on Sunday, February 2nd?
- How long will Soprano Renee Fleming’s rendition of the National Anthem be? (The over and under is 1:51.)
- Will there be a safety?
- How many times will Payton Manning yell out “OMAHA” in the 1st half?
- Which player will have the first turnover.
- In his first interview, who will the game’s MVP thank first–a family member, his team, a player, a coach or a higher being?
- What will the result of the first coach’s challenge flag be (decision upheld or overturned)?
- What color Gatorade will be dumped on the winning coach at game’s end? Will it be orange, red, blue, green, yellow, or clear? Orange is always the betting favorite.
And if the game, the commercials, and prop bets aren’t enough entertainment, how about the ever-famous halftime show? It’s the most-watched musical event of the year!
This year’s halftime show (as previously mentioned) features Bruno Mars and special guests The Red Hot Chili Peppers.
And speaking of chili peppers, from spicy dips to the best in game-watching fare, Nino’s has everything you need to make sure your spread is one you can bet on, such as:
- Nino’s large selection of snack favorites, including bone-in and boneless chicken wings, meatballs, and jalapeno poppers
- An enormous choice of chips, dips (including our house-fried tortilla chips and salsa assortments), and all of your favorite brands of beverages. This includes our outstanding selection of liquors*, which we guarantee to offer at the lowest prices in town! (* Available at the Troy and Clinton Township Locations)
- Our homemade Take n’ Bake Pizzas (in two sizes) are perfect for football parties. Just unwrap, bake, and serve. They’re ready when you want, not when the delivery car decides to show up. And even better, they start at just $2.99 each!
Love to cook and make your own buffet of tasty treats? Here are just a few super suggestions from our recipe collections and Chef’s Choice food guides:
Don’t love to cook? Be sure to check out Nino’s Party Planning Guide or call our store’s Party Planners. Let us help you plan your football party, so you don’t miss a thing, including the ice! And don’t forget, we DELIVER!!
Enjoy the game everybody!