Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Pete's Awesome, Rich, Beef and Mushroom Steak Sauce
OK, I have to admit that this sauce is one of my very favorites. It takes time to make but it's WELL worth the results. It freezes well and can be turned into a number of other classical sauces including Swedish, Diane and Woodlands.
Write a review
- 3 Meaty Short Ribs, Large
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 4 cups Beef Broth / Stock (Kitchen Basics)
- 1 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1/2 cup Sweet Onions, diced 1"
- 1/2 cup Carrots, diced 1"
- 1 Roma Tomato, medium
- 1/2 tsp. Granulated Garlic
- 2 cups White Mushrooms, sliced 1/4"
- 3 Tbsp. Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Kitchen Bouquet Seasoning Liquid
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- In a medium sauce pot on medium high heat, sear short ribs on both sides in oil until well browned then remove the short ribs and reserve them for later.
- In same pot, using the resulting oil/grease, saute onions and carrots until lightly browned.
- Add short ribs back to pot, then beef broth, soy sauce, honey, Roma Tomato & granulated garlic.
- Cover pot well with foil and lid, and reduce heat until it is BARELY simmering or 2 hours, (or alternately, place the entire covered pot in a 300 F oven for that same period of time).
- After 2 hours, strain off the liquid (reserving short ribs).
- Allow liquid to rest 30 minutes or until resulting grease floats to the surface and can be skimmed.
- Skim off 1/3 cup grease and place it in a medium size sauce pan over medium high heat. Skim off the remaining grease from the liquid and discard it.
- Add mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are browned and there are NO remaining juices from the mushrooms.
- Add 3 tbsp. flour to the sauteed mushrooms and continue to stir until flour is cooked and lightly browned.
- Add all strained beef broth to the mushroom mixture and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer on low heat 10 to 15 minutes while stirring.
- Add Kitchen Bouquet seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- If additional thickening is desired, dissolve cornstarch in cold water and add to thicken.
- (Optional) Reserved short rib meat can be finely chopped and added as a sauce garnishment.
- Want to try some other great steak sauces: Just add the following ingredients of each recipe below to 2 cups of Pete's Awesome Steak Sauce (recipe above).
- SWEDISH: Add 3 tbsp. Sour Cream and 1 tsp. chopped Fresh Dill
- DIANE: Add 2 tbsp. spicy Dijon mustard & a pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- WOODLANDS: Add 1 tbsp. chopped Sun Dried Tomatoes, 2 tbsp. chopped Ham, 2 tbsp. crisp, crumbled Bacon, 1 tbsp. chopped Green Onion, 1 tbsp. chopped caramelized Garlic Cloves
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/