Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
New Orleans Red Beans
Enjoy this recipe with grilled sausages, chicken or seafood. You can "kick it up" a notch by adding 1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes or a dash of Tabasco.
Write a review
- 1 lb. Dry Red Beans
- 2 quarts Water
- 1 1/2 cups Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 4 Bay Leaves, whole
- 1 cup Sweet Green Pepper, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper, cracked
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans; rinse thoroughly and soak.
- After soaking, drain beans in a 5 quart pot, combine beans, water, onion, celery and bay leaves. Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir and mash beans against the side of the pan.
- Add green pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and black pepper. Cook, uncovered, over low heat until creamy, about 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve over hot, cooked brown rice, if desired.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/