Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
This Irish potato recipe is pretty much mashed potatoes with an accent of kale and onions, but it’s VERY Irish. It’s called Colcannon.
Write a review
- 1 ½ Lbs. Idaho/Russet Potatoes, Peeled and Quartered
- 2 Cups Baby Kale, Chopped Coarsely
- 1/2 Cup Green Onions, Chopped
- ¼ Cup Green Onions, Minced
- 1 Stick Salted Butter
- To Taste Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Blanch kale in simmering water for 1 minute, and then drain and place in a blender with the ½ cup of chopped green onions. Pulse ONLY, leaving mixture only partially pureed.
- Simmer the potatoes in water until tender, drain, season with salt and pepper, and then mash with the salted butter and the kale mixture.
- Place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup green onions.
- Cabbage can be substituted for kale, and the green part of knob onions can be substituted for the green onions.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/