Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Homemade Nutella / Hazelnut/Chocolate Spread
Of course you can buy Nutella at Nino's or you can actually make it and it's really not that difficult.
Write a review
- 1 cup (heaping) Whole Hazelnuts (Filberts), toasted & skinned
- 2/3 cup Powdered Sugar (don't use granulated)
- 1 1/4 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 stick Salted Butter (at room temperature)
- 2/3 cup Half & Half (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 pinch Kosher or Sea Salt
- Pre-melt chocolate chips on the defrost setting in your microwave oven. Stir occasionally; be sure not to burn them. When they are completely melted, set aside.
- Toast your hazelnuts in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until light brown. Cool, then rub off the skins and place, while still warm, in a food processor.
- Blend until as smooth as you can make it (about 2 to 3 minutes minimum).
- Add the melted chocolate chips, butter, vanilla and salt. Blend again at least 1 to 2 minutes.
- While mixture is blending slowly add half and half. Scrape down sides of bowl and continue to blend 1 minute longer.
- Store in an airtight container. This mixture will stay spreadable at room temperature but if refrigerated will need to be warmed slightly to spread easily once again.
- Will keep at room temperature 3 to 5 days or for a couple of weeks in the fridge if covered tightly.
- This recipe will also work using MILK chocolate chips and/or skim milk.
- You can also enjoy this delicious spread on pancakes, pound cake, on ice cream (it will harden a bit) or as a dip with strawberries, bananas or other fruits.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/