Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Escarole with Wild Rice & Currants
A crisp, broadleaf type of endive most often served as a salad green that is also known as escarole, broad chicory, or common chicory. This member of the chicory family has broad outer leaves with a crinkled shape. The leaves provide a slightly bitter taste, yet not as bitter as Belgian or curly endive. As the outer leaves are removed, the inner leaves display a paler green coloring with more white and a taste less bitter than the outer leaves. Escarole is popular as a salad green, eaten raw with mayonnaise or a vinaigrette dressing. When cooked, the greens are often served as a vegetable steamed or braised and can be added to soups for flavoring in the later stages of soup making.
Write a review
- 3 qts. Chicken Stock, Broth or Water
- 2 1/2 cups Wild Rice
- 1/4 cup Dried Currants
- 1/4 cup Hot Water
- 2 heads Escarole, cored, leaves separated
- 4 Shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp. Lemon Zest, finely grated
- To Taste - Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- To Taste - Salt, Kosher or Sea
- In a large saucepan, bring Chicken Stock or water to a boil.
- Add the wild rice and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain the rice but do not rinse.
- In a bowl, soak the currants in the hot water for 10 minutes. Drain.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the escarole leaves until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Squeeze the escarole dry and coarsely chop it.
- Heat the olive oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole.
- Add the shallots and cook over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the escarole and currants and cook over moderate heat, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the wild rice and cook until warmed through.
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/