Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Think Mexican Chicken Lasagna and you're pretty close to this version of our Chilaquilles recipe which substitutes Red Enchilada Sauce for the more traditional Cream and Chiles Verdes of our Chilaquilles recipe. Simple to make and quite simply a casserole version of the classic Mexican Chicken Enchiladas. One of the BEST ways to enjoy this recipe is topped with Nino's Santa Fe Style Black Bean & Corn Salsa, Sour Cream and chopped cilantro. Add to that a side of Spanish Rice??? WOW!!!..
Write a review
- - Vegetable Spray, as needed
- 2 Tbsp. Salvaggio's Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups Sweet Onions
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 18 each Corn Tortillas
- 3 cups Red Enchilada Sauce (homemade or canned)
- 2 lbs. Cooked Chicken Meat, pulled or cut julienne
- 24 oz. Monterey Jack / Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Saute the sliced onions in the olive oil until golden in color.
- Season the onions with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Spray a 9" x 13" oven proof casserole dish generously with any kind of pan-release spray.
- Lay down the first layer of fresh corn tortillas in a shingled fashion (2x3) 2 shingled along the width of the pan and 3 shingled along the length of the pan for a total of 6 tortillas.
- Next ladle 1 cup of the enchilada sauce over the corn tortillas and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle 3/4 pound of the pulled, cooked chicken meat evenly over the enchilada sauce (approximately 1/2 of the meat).
- Then sprinkle half of the caramelized onions over the chicken.
- Evenly sprinkle 1/2 pound (or 1/3rd) of the shredded cheeses evenly over the chicken and caramelized onions.
- Repeat process of tortillas, sauce, chicken, onions and cheese once more.
- Finish with the last 6 corn tortillas shingled on the top followed by 1 cup of the enchilada sauce and the last third of the shredded cheese.
- Place into a 325 degree oven uncovered and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/