Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Chicken and Mushroom Strudel
This recipe can be made in either larger or smaller phyllo packages in the event you want to consider making this recipe as an appetizer. Also, feel free to add any other additional vegetables you like.
Write a review
- 1 lb Chicken Breast, cut in 1" x 1/2" strips
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 2 cups Onion, peeled, cut in half, then 1/2" slices
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic, fresh, sliced thin
- 1 Lb Mushroom, assortment of your choice
- 2 Tbsp. Salted Butter
- 1 cup Asparagus, fresh, cut in 1/2" bias pieces
- 1⁄2 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- - Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 8 sheets Phyllo, 10" x 15"
- 8 oz. Butter, melted
- In a medium size saute or fry pan over medium heat, saute chicken breast pieces until fully cooked and lightly browned.
- Remove chicken pieces from the pan and reserve. Unless there is a burnt residue in the pan used to cook this chicken, do not wash pan but add 2 tbsp. of butter and saute onions over medium heat until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and saute one minute, then, add mushrooms. Continue to saute this combined mixture until mushrooms are limp and have a light golden coloration.
- Add asparagus to the mixture and saute one to two minutes longer to partially cook asparagus.
- Remove pan from the heat and combine with cooked chicken and cream of mushroom soup.
- Season this finished mixture with salt and pepper if desired and cool.
- Melt 8 ounces of butter and brush between 2 layers of phyllo dough, thoroughly painting the surface of each.
- Divide the chicken and mushroom mixture into 4 portions and place one portion's worth, centered, in a log like fashion on the bottom end of the narrow width of the phyllo approximately 2 inches in from each side and the bottom edge.
- Fold the bottom edge of phyllo over the filling, then fold the left and right margin of the phyllo dough over the filling, then finally, roll the log shaped filling forward (like rolling a carpet up) until the "strudel" shape is achieved.
- Repeat with remainder of phyllo and filling to make 4 portions.
- Place the strudels on a baking sheet and place in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and serve with sauce of choice.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/