Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Chevre Cheese Stuffed Portobella Mushroom Caps
A vegetarian entrée favorite, this recipe can also be done successfully on a barbecue grill.
Write a review
- 4 Portobella Mushroom Caps, approximately 4" in diameter
- 6 oz. Chevre (Goat Cheese), crumbled
- 3 Roma Tomatoes, sliced 1/4"
- 1⁄2 cup Basil Leaves, Fresh
- 4 cups Sweet Onions, sliced fine
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic, Fresh Cloves, sliced fine
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. Cumin Powder
- Wipe mushroom caps clean with a damp cloth, turn over and remove stem and inner "gills" with a small spoon used in a gentle, scraping motion.
- Mix together balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, olive oil, chili powder and cumin and pour over mushroom caps coating well. Marinate caps for 4 to 6 hours.
- After marinating 4 to 6 hours wipe caps clean of excess marinate. Place the caps former "gill" side up on a non-stick baking sheet and layer on top of caps, the onion, chevre cheese, tomato, basil leaves then more chevre.
- Bake caps in a pre-heated 375 F oven for 7 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the mushroom cap and its toppings are heated through.
- If using a grill, place the caps directly on a medium heat grill and close the cover of the grill to add additional top heat. The length of actual time may vary depending on your grill.
- Garnish with more basil if desired just before service.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/