Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Braised Red Cabbage
A colorful and VERY traditional accompaniment vegetable with roasted meats and sausages. I prefer a well smoked or maple bacon to bring out more of a hearty flavor to the cabbage. Another alternative is using a WHITE balsamic vinegar instead of the cider vinegar listed here for a sweeter flavor to the final dish.
Write a review
- 1 Head Red Cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups Red Onion
- 1⁄2 Lb Bacon, cut in 1/2" strips
- 2 each Granny Smith Apples, cored & cut in 1/2" pieces
- 1⁄2 cup Cider Vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Sugar
- - Salt, to taste
- - Pepper, to taste
- Saute bacon until nearly crisp and all fat is rendered.
- Saute onion in bacon and fat until half cooked.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook over medium low heat until cabbage is tender. Add a small amount of water if necessary.
- Season additionally to taste.
- An excellent side dish to go with Pork Schnitzel.
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/