Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Acorn Squash and Honey Pie
If you'd like to try a new recipe for Acorn Squash, below is one Chef Pete particularly likes that uses 2 cups of this cooked mashed squash. It tastes surprisingly like pumpkin pie!
Write a review
- 2 cups Acorn Squash, cooked, mashed well
- 4 each Eggs, Extra Large
- 3⁄4 cup Evaporated Milk (or Half and Half)
- 1⁄4 cup Honey
- 1⁄4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. Salt
- 1 each 9” Pie Shell (unbaked)
- To Garnish
- - Sweetened Whipped Cream
- - Toasted Pecans
- Cut Acorn Squash in half lengthwise (through the stem), then scoop out the seeds (like a pumpkin).
- Butter and season the exposed flesh then place each half cut side down on a cookie sheet with a little water and roast at 375 degrees until tender (about 45 minutes).
- Scoop flesh from its "rind-like" skin and mash well.
- Mix together the above ingredients until well blended, then strain and pour into an unbaked 9" diameter pie shell (homemade or store bought).
- Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 1 hour or until the custard like filling is firm.
- Chill and serve with whipped cream & toasted pecans.
- Makes 1 - 9" Pie
Nino Salvaggio https://www.ninosalvaggio.com/