Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Yukon Gold Potato Galette
A Galette is a French term for a round, rather flat cake, sometimes layered. In this recipe, it is borrowed from its usual context to refer to the layering of the potatoes, leeks and cheeses into a savory potato cake that's truly unique and delicious.
Write a review
- 2 Lbs. Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (approx. 6-8 potatoes)
- 4 oz. Chevre Cheese (Goat Cheese), Cheddar may be substituted
- 1 Each Large Leek, washed well, cut in half lengthwise then thinly on bias
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 Cup Parmesan or Romano Cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 Cup Green Onions, cut 1/4" on bias
- 3 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Each Eggs, beaten
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- - Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a medium casserole dish with butter or non-stick vegetable spray.
- Saute leeks and garlic in olive oil until tender (3 to 5 minutes), add green onions, saute one minute longer and then chill that mixture.
- Begin by covering the bottom of the casserole dish with an overlapping layer of the thinly sliced potatoes.
- Next dot that layer of potatoes with 1/2 of the Chevre cheese, 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese and 1/2 of the sauteed leek, garlic and green onion mixture.
- Repeat with another layer of potatoes and the remaining cheeses and leek mixture.
- Finish with a top layer of sliced potatoes.
- Beat together the eggs and cream and pour over the potato mixture then sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake until the cheese is absorbed into the potatoes and the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake until the mixture is bubbly and the top is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before cutting into portions.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/