Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Sweet Corn and Bacon Pie (with Ham Option)
Whether served as an entree or with a salad at lunch, this delicious quiche-like pie is an excellent choice for an alternative meal, especially in the cooler weather months.
Write a review
- 1 Pie Shell, 9"
- 1⁄2 lb. Nino's Maple Bacon, cut in 1/2" pieces
- 1 Large Sweet Onion, diced 1/2"
- 2 stalks Green Onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 Cup Red Bell Pepper, diced 1/4"
- 3 Cups Sweet Corn Kernels (about 3 ears)
- 1 1⁄2 Cups Half & Half
- 3 Extra Large Eggs
- 1 tsp. Fresh Thyme
- 1 1⁄2 Cups Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- - Salt and Pepper, to taste
- OPTION - 1 cup Diced Cooked Ham
- In a 375 F oven, par-bake the pie shell for approximately 10 minutes or until light blond (do not brown). Remove from the oven and cool.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain then pour off all but 1 1/2 tablespoons drippings.
- Add onion and pepper to skillet. Saute until almost tender, about 8 minutes. Add only 2 cups of the corn and continue to saute about 3 minutes longer and remove the entire mixture off the heat to cool until warm.
- Puree the remaining 1 cup of corn then whisk together the pureed corn, half and half and the eggs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In the pie shell, spread the sauteed onion, peppers and corn mixture over the bottom surface, (add ham now if used) then sprinkle the bacon and cheese evenly over that mixture.
- Gently pour the egg mixture into the pie shell and bake in a 375 F oven approximately 45 to 60 minutes or until the filling is firm and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, then let rest 20 to 30 minutes and serve warm.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/