Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Sweet and Smoky Chili Onion Dip
This is not only a great dip, it's also a great topping for a baked potato or even a condiment on a grilled burger. Chef Pete likes it with hearty corn tortilla chips like the ones we make at Nino's.
Write a review
- 4 cups Sweet Onions, cut in half, then 1/4" slices
- 3 Tbsp. Salted Butter
- 1 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup Ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Unsulfured Molasses
- 1⁄4 tsp. Liquid Smoke (Hickory or Mesquite)
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin, ground
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- Saute onions in butter over medium heat until medium golden brown. Do not burn. Chill onions.
- Chop onions into 1/4" to 3/8" bits and place in a saucepan or skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a slow simmer while stirring. Cook 5 minutes.
- Cool mixture and serve with corn tortilla chips.
- Makes 4 cups.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/