Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Gratin with Crab and Pesto Pasta
Mushrooms, pasta and crab just go together. This recipe uses Cibo brand Basil Pesto which you can find in our refrigerated Italian products section of our stores. It's one of the best tasting Basil Pesto products I've tasted.
Write a review
- 4 Portobello Mushroom Caps, approx. 4 inches
- 1 cup Pasteurized Crab Meat
- 1⁄2 lb. Angel Hair Pasta
- - Boiling Salted Water, as needed
- 1⁄2 cup Basil Pesto (Cibo brand or other)
- 1 cup Salvaggio Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1⁄2 stick Salted Butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup Asiago Cheese, shredded
- - Salt and Pepper, to taste
- - Optional: Salvaggio Vodka Sauce or Palomino Sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Lightly spray a cookie sheet with vegetable spray and place the Portobello mushroom caps (cup side up) on the pan.
- Season the inside of the cups with salt and pepper.
- Cook the angel hair pasta in boiling salted water until JUST al dente then rinse in cold water. (Be careful NOT to over-cook the pasta.)
- Place the chilled pasta in a medium size mixing bowl and add the basil pesto. Gently toss together until the pesto is evenly mixed into the pasta.
- Place approximately one quarter cup of crab meat in the cavity of each mushroom cap.
- Divide the pesto pasta in 4 equal portions and next each portion carefully on top of the crab meat, staying within the edge of the mushroom cap.
- Mix together the butter and the bread crumbs and divide equally on top of the pesto pasta mounds.
- Sprinkle the top of the crumbs with the Asiago cheese shreds and place the mushrooms in the oven for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until the mushroom is slightly tender and the bread crumbs and cheese gratin is golden brown.
- Serve with optional sauce (Vodka or Palomino Sauce is suggested).
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/