Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Soft Bavarian Pretzels
A huge hit with the kids and adults alike, this recipe will make those big pretzels you see in the ballparks and movie theaters right in your own kitchen! Or, like this method, just roll them into long sticks and enjoy that same great flavor without all the twists.
Write a review
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. Frozen Bread Dough
- 3⁄4 cup Baking Soda
- 2 Quart Water
- 2 Tbsp. Coarse Salt (or Sea Salt)
- Thaw frozen bread dough in the refrigerator overnight or until completely soft and pliable.
- Place water in a non-reactive sauce pan or metal casserole dish, stir in the baking soda until it dissolves then place the solution over medium low heat until it simmers.
- Remove bread dough from the refrigerator and portion into 4 equal pieces approximately 6 ounces each.
- Roll out each portion of dough into a 10 inch long stick. Repeat for the remaining pieces.
- Place dough sticks in the gently simmering baking soda water and poach on both sides approximately 1 minute rolling over the sticks as they "poach".
- Remove the sticks with a slotted spatula and place on a non-stick baking pan (approximately 2 inches apart from one another). You may also want to spray this pan lightly with a non-stick vegetable spray.
- While the dough sticks are still moist and a bit sticky, sprinkle evenly with the salt so that it will stick to the dough (without dissolving).
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Before baking, slash each dough stick with a sharp knife with diagonal cuts approximately 1/4" deep and 1 to 2 inches apart.
- Bake for approximately 20 to 30 minutes or until "Pretzel Sticks" are medium brown and baked through.
- Serve plain or with your favorite mustard.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/