Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Sauerkraut with Bacon, Onions and Potatoes
This is a great Oktoberfest dish and a natural side accompaniment for German or Polish Sausages. Nino's Butcher Shop Brand Maple Bacon is my recommendation for a sweet accent to the sauerkraut. Red skin potatoes may also be substituted for the Idaho potatoes listed here.
Write a review
- 8 oz. Nino's Butcher Shop Bacon, diced 1/2"
- 2 cups Vidalia Onions, medium diced
- 3 cups Hengstenberg Bavarian Sauerkraut, drained
- 4 cups Idaho Potatoes, peeled, 1" cubed
- 1⁄2 tsp. Caraway Seeds
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Dry Parsley
- - Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Cook the bacon until brown and crispy.
- Add the onions to the bacon and grease and saute until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Strain off all grease from the bacon and onion mixture and reserve bacon and onions.
- Separately, cook potatoes in chicken stock and caraway seeds until tender.
- When potatoes are tender add sauerkraut, bacon, onions, brown sugar, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook one minute and serve or refrigerate for later use.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/