Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Quinoa - Mexican Style
Quinoa (Keen-whah) is an extremely healthy Ancient grain that has become quite popular with "foodies" in the last 10 years. Its versatility as both a hot "starch" alternative and cold in salads has made it an appealing addition in the repertoire of many "trendy" restaurants.
Write a review
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable or Peanut Oil
- 3⁄4 cup Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 each Fresh Jalapenos, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic, chopped
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1⁄3 cup Pepitas, lightly toasted
- 3⁄4 cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Green Onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Lime Juice
- 1⁄4 tsp. Salt
- Toast quinoa in a large dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until it crackles and becomes aromatic, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, red bell pepper, garlic and jalapenos and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and broth; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add pepitas, cilantro, scallions, lime juice and salt to the quinoa; mix gently and fluff with a fork.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/