Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Pete's "Healthier" Turkey Burrito
Here's my recipe for a "healthier" burrito. It really doesn't take much time to make this recipe AND if you make double the turkey filling part, then freeze the extra, its even quicker to enjoy this great dish the second time around.
Write a review
- 2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 1⁄2 Cup Sweet Onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 Cup Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄4 lb. Ground Turkey Meat
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin, Ground
- 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder, Ground
- 1⁄4 tsp. Oregano, crushed
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato Paste (optional)
- - Salt & Pepper, to taste
- - Filling
- 1 Cup Refried Beans (La Preferida Fat Free)
- 1⁄3 Cup Salsa (Garden Fresh, Jack's Special Medium)
- 8 slices Kraft Singles (Skim Milk American Fat Free, 25 calories per slice)
- 4 Flour Tortillas 10" (La Banderita Brand, no Cholesterol, 0g Trans Fats)
- - Vegetable Spray, as needed
- 2 Cups Enchilada Sauce (La Preferida Red Chile)
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 Cup Sour Cream, Low Fat (optional)
- Make the filling first by sauteing the onion, bell peppers and garlic in the canola oil over medium heat until softened.
- Add the ground turkey meat and cook through.
- Add the seasonings, tomato paste (optional) and season to your taste with salt & pepper.
- Cool this mixture.
- Mix together the refried beans and the salsa, season this mixture with salt & pepper.
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 F.
- To assemble your burritos, place a flour tortilla on a flat work surface and spread 1/4 cup of the refried bean mixture in a vertical stripe approximately 3" wide by 8" tall.
- On top of the bean mixture place 2 slices of the cheese, one above the other
- Portion approximately 1/2 cup of the turkey mixture at the lower end of the refried bean and cheese ingredients you've laid down (closest to your waist.) The mound of turkey mix should be about 4" x 2" and in a tube-like shape.
- Lift up the bottom edge of the flour tortilla closest to you and fold it over the turkey mixture. Next, fold both left and right sides of the flour tortilla over the turkey mixture and roll forward (away from you). You should end up with a roll about 4" x 2 1/2" in diameter.
- Repeat with the 3 remaining flour tortillas and place each, seam side down, on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet or baking pan.
- Before baking, spray each filled burrito with vegetable spray then place in a 400 F oven and bake approximately 20 minutes or until they are medium golden brown.
- Heat the enchilada sauce to a simmer and serve each burrito with a quarter cup of sauce and optionally with a dollop of low fat sour cream and chopped cilantro.
- This recipe is a good base, from here you can add ALL sorts of additional ingredients to your burrito like sweet corn, black beans, fresh green onions, more peppers, etc. And you can serve it with shredded iceberg lettuce, Spanish rice, guacamole or more fresh salsa.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/