Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Pan Fried Atlantic Salmon Cakes
This recipe combines fresh salmon with all of salmon's most common ingredient accompaniments in one package! Keep in mind that optionally, you can omit the breading step. These cakes pan fry and brown nicely without the breading "crust".
Write a review
For the Salmon Cake Mixture
- 2 1/2 lbs. Fresh Salmon Fillets, 1/4" to 3/8" diced
- 1/2 cup Sweet Onion, 1/4" diced
- 1/4 cup Celery, 1/4" diced
- 1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper, 1/4" diced
- 1/2 Tbsp. Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard, smooth
- 1 Extra Large Egg
- 1 Tbsp. Dry Parsley Flakes
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Dill, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice, fresh
- 1/2 Tbsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
- 3/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
For the Breading
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Fine Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 Extra Large Eggs
- 2 cups Salvaggio's Italian Bread Crumbs
- Fillet and dice raw salmon into 1/4" to 3/8" pieces. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Saute onion, celery, red pepper and garlic in butter until just tender. CHILL.
- Combine raw salmon with sauteed vegetables, mustard, spices, dill weed, Panko bread crumbs, egg, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Patty cake mixture to the size of 3" diameter x 2" tall. Recipe should yield approximately 6 (8 oz. cakes). After making all the cakes place them on parchment baking sheets and hard chill them in the freezer for 30 to 60 minutes to make breading easier.
- Set up a standard breading procedure using the items listed in the breading process above.
- The standard breading procedure requires 3 separate bowls. Bowl 1 - mix together the flour, salt and pepper and Old Bay Seasoning. Bowl 2 - beat together the milk and eggs. Bowl 3 - place the Salvaggio's bread crumbs.
- To bread the salmon cakes first lightly flour the top and bottom of the cake with the seasoned flour. Dip the floured top and bottom of each cake in the beaten milk and egg mixture. Then lightly bread the top and the bottom of each cake in the Italian bread crumbs.
- Heat butter in a non-stick fry pan and brown the top and bottom of each patty. Place each browned patty onto a sheet pan lined with parchment baking paper.
- After all salmon patties are browned, place all in a 350 F degree oven for approximately 20 minutes to JUST cook through.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/