Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Modern "Traditional" Pound Cake
One of the beautiful attributes of the traditional pound cake recipe is that unlike modern formulas, you can't really screw it up by adding other "stuff" like spices, nuts, dried fruits, some extract...oh, what the heck, thrown in a ripe banana!!
Write a review
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter or Margarine, softened
- 1 tsp. Vanilla or Almond Extract
- 5 Extra Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Milk or Evaporated Milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease bottom, side and tube of a 10" x 4" loaf pan or 9" diameter Bundt pan then lightly flour it.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt then set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together granulated sugar, butter & vanilla with an electric mixture until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs in 2 stages and continue to beat until light.
- Scrape down bowl and beat in flour mixture and milk alternately with milk on low speed, until just smooth after each addition.
- Pour into pan, place into the oven and bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool about 15 minutes and un-mold.
- Once baked in either a loaf pan or a Bundt mold, they can be dusted with powdered sugar, lightly glazed, soaked with liquor or drizzled with a coat of sweet icing.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/