Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
This truly authentic Mexican pheasant style dish was taught to my sister (who lived in Mexico City for many years) by her housekeeper and cook. Choose thick style tortilla chips for this dish so that they don't break down while cooking. It's also not necessary to use fresh chips. Stale ones will do nicely too.
Write a review
- 1 bag Corn Tortilla Chips, thick
- 4 each Chicken Breasts, cooked
- 1 cup Black Beans
- 1 cup Tomato, seeded, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Onion, chopped
- 24 oz. La Preferida Mild Enchilada Sauce
- 3 cups Whipping Cream
- 8 oz. Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- Shred cooked chicken with fingers.
- Combine black beans, tomato and onion in a small bowl and toss together.
- Spray a 9" x 13" casserole dish with non-stick vegetable spray and make layers of tortilla chips, shredded chicken and the bean, tomato and onion mixture until casserole dish is full.
- Mix green sauce and cream and pour evenly over casserole.
- Top with all the cheese.
- Cover with foil. Bake at 365 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Uncover then broil until the cheese browns.
- Casserole settles better and is easier to cut and portion if it's left out of the oven and covered for 10 minutes.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/