Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Mediterranean Mini Watermelon Salad
The Watermelon, as we usually think of it, came into its own as a “market staple” about 375 years ago. Since then, the evolution of this picnic favorite has brought us the seedless melon in 1988 and now, the Mini Watermelon! Developed, then first introduced in 2003 in Five Points, California and weighing at just 3 to 7 pounds, the Mini’s manageable size, thin skin and sweet, delectable flavor is perfect for small families and single consumers. The most common varieties include: Liliput, Extazy, Wander, Mielhart, Polimor, Petite Perfection and the 5116. High in lycopene and beta-carotene (an antioxidant, shown to reduce the risk of cancer & heart attacks), it is as nutritious as it is delicious! We hope you’ll enjoy this newest addition to the Watermelon family with this Mediterranean inspired summertime salad.
Write a review
- 6 cups Italian Blend Salad Greens
- 3 cups Mini Watermelon, cubed
- 1/2 cup Red Onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Toasted Pine Nuts
- 1/2 cup Roasted Red Pepper, cut in strips
- 2 Tbsp. Currant Jelly
- 1/4 cup Pureed Watermelon
- 2 Tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic, fresh, chopped
- 2 tsp. Vegetable Oil
- In large bowl, toss all ingredients except vinaigrette.
- In small saucepan, heat currant jelly just until melted; cool until warm.
- Add remaining dressing ingredients; stir until well blended.
- Stir well before using. Makes about ½ cup.
- Just before serving, toss salad mixture with vinaigrette.
- Garnish with cracked pepper & a drizzle of good balsamic syrup.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/