Share This RecipeUse the buttons below to share this recipe on popular social networks, print, or email it to a friend.
Kentucky Burgoo is a very traditional hearty stew with a multi-meat combination and
Write a review
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Lbs. Pork Butt, Cut Into 1” Pieces
- 2 Lbs. Beef Sirloin Butt, Cut into 1” Pieces
- 2 Lbs. Chicken Legs & Thighs, Boneless, Skin on, Cut in 2” Pieces
- 1 Cup Green Bell Pepper, Diced ½”
- 2 Cups Sweet Onion, Diced 1”
- 1 Cup Carrots, Diced ½”
- 1 Cup Celery, Diced ½”
- 2 TBSP. Garlic, Chopped
- 1 Quart Chicken Broth
- 1 Quart Beef Broth
- 2 Cups Crushed Tomatoes
- 3 Cups Red Skin Potatoes, Diced 1”
- 2 Cups Fresh Corn Kernels
- 2 Cups Lima Beans (Frozen or Cooked)
- 1 Cup Okra, Cut in ½” Segments
- To Taste Salt and Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add half of the vegetable oil and when hot, sear separately the pork, beef and chicken until brown, removing each from the pot when browned and then reserving.
- Add the remaining half of the oil to the pot and sauté the onions, pepper and garlic until soft and lightly browned.
- Add all the previously browned meats to the vegetables in the pot and then add both the broths, the crushed tomatoes, the okra and the red skin potatoes.
- Simmer slowly until the potatoes are nearly tender then add the corn and Lima beans.
- Simmer 15 to 20 minutes and season with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Cornbread and hot sauce are typical accompaniments.
Nino Salvaggio http://www.ninosalvaggio.com/